Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Savor: Delight in, Enjoy

To savor means to delight in, to enjoy.  I’ve been thinking about this word a lot lately.  When I first heard the word I immediately thought of the last scrumptious thing that hit my tongue, which is usually sushi or chocolate.  But can’t we savor more than food?  Don’t get me wrong.  I love a fantastic meal and a great glass of wine.  And I savor them both.  But, shouldn’t we savor more aspects of our complex lives?  For example, recently my heart was overcome with joy seeing a service dog in training.  There was something about that innocent pup learning to harness his future purpose that warmed my heart to its core.  I stopped and savored the moment watching the trainer and trainee walk together as one.  This morning I carved out 90 minutes to enjoy the crisp fall air.  Hot cup of tea in hand, a soft blanket and a new book I’ve been trying to start reading for the past 3 weeks; I got cozy.  For those of us who are married I also think it’s important to savor the good bye kiss we give our significant other when we part.  If you don’t do this, you should!  You never know when that kiss might be the last kiss you share.  Even in sadness, there are special moments to savor such as the expression of forgiveness and the end of pain.  Often I savor the memory I have of massaging my grandfather’s feet as he lay in his hospital bed the day before he died.  I was never closer to my grandfather than at that time.  Sarah Young wrote, “Fantasizing about future happiness will never bring fulfillment, because fantasy is unreality.”  What do you need to savor today?

~ Shayne Buchanan
www.kyovba.com

No comments:

Post a Comment